I am Associate Professor at the School of Electrical and Information Engineering, Faculty of Engineering and IT, Honorary Associate at the Faculty of Education and Social Work The University of Sydney and Research Fellow of the Learning Innovation and Networked Knowledge Research Lab (LINK), University of Texas (Arlington).
My areas of research are learning analytics, software for collaborative and personalized learning, technology to improve the student experience and teaching practice. I have expertise in the areas of intelligent tutoring systems, learning design, data collection in virtual learning environments, analysis of collaborative work, flipped classroom, and the integration of technology and pedagogical strategies. In these areas I follow an applied research approach with naturalistic experiments in real world scenarios.
I am the director of the Learning and Affect Technologies (LATTE) Research Laboratory and member of the editorial boards of the IEEE Transactions on Learning Technology and the International Journal of Social Media and Interactive Learning Environments. I am also member of the executive board of the Society for Learning Analytics and Research, and member of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) and the Australasian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Education.
The following video recorded as part of the LACE (Learning Analytics Community Exchange) project shows my view of this area and my predictions or the next five years (2016-2020) in Australia.
The following video describes how learning analytics can inform teaching practice (part of the MOOC Learning to Teach Online).
The following video describes the design of what is called flipped learning experiences (part of the EdTech Gallery created by Dorian Peters for the FASS eLearning team at The University of Sydney)
BS/MS in Computer Science by the Polytechnic University of Catalonia, Spain. PhD in Computer Science by the University of Colorado at Boulder.
If you are looking for supervision opportunities, check the description of the available projects.
You may find additional information in my home page at The University of Sydney
- 2015 Faculty of Engineering and IT Outstanding Teaching Award. The University of Sydney (Slides of the presentation “Student Centred Active Learning in First Year Engineering)
- Invited presentation at the Learning Analytics 2017, UTS. Title: “Using learning analytics to discover how students engage with active learning”. Sydney, 21 June 2017
- Invited seminar at the Centre for Research in Assessment and Digital Learning, Deakin University. Title: “Connecting data with student support actions at scale”. Melbourne, 29 May 2017
- Invited talk at the Centre for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning & Faculty of Education, Hong Kong University. Title: “Provision of personalized feedback at scale using learning analytics”, Hong Kong, 19 May, 2017
- Invited seminar at the Faculty of Education, Hong Kong University. Title: “Articulating the connection between Learning Design and Learning Analytics”, Hong Kong, 16 May, 2017
- Invited talk at the Education Grand Rounds, Westmead Hospital. Title: “Increasing Student Engagement With Personalised Feedback”. Australia, 8 May, 2017
- Invited webinar for ASCILITE. Title: “The role of data in the provision of feedback at scale”, Australia, 22 April, 2017 (Video)
- Invited webinar for the Spanish Network of Learning Analytics (SNOLA). Title: “Can data help me learn?”, Spain, 23 February, 2017
- Presentation at the Australian Curriculum Studies Association Symposium. Title: “Exploring hands-on multidisciplinary STEM with Arduino Esplora”. Sydney, 14 October 2016.