I am Associate Professor at the School of Electrical and Information Engineering, Faculty of Engineering and IT, Honorary Associate at the Faculty of Education and Social Work The University of Sydney and Research Fellow of the Learning Innovation and Networked Knowledge Research Lab (LINK), University of Texas (Arlington).
My areas of research are learning analytics, software for collaborative and personalized learning, technology to improve the student experience and teaching practice. I have expertise in the areas of intelligent tutoring systems, learning design, data collection in virtual learning environments, analysis of collaborative work, flipped classroom, and the integration of technology and pedagogical strategies. In these areas I follow an applied research approach with naturalistic experiments in real world scenarios.
I am the director of the Learning and Affect Technologies (LATTE) Research Laboratory and member of the editorial boards of the IEEE Transactions on Learning Technology and the International Journal of Social Media and Interactive Learning Environments. I am also member of the executive board of the Society for Learning Analytics and Research, and member of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) and the Australasian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Education.
The following video recorded as part of the LACE (Learning Analytics Community Exchange) project shows my view of this area and my predictions or the next five years (2016-2020) in Australia.
The following video describes how learning analytics can inform teaching practice (part of the MOOC Learning to Teach Online).
BS/MS in Computer Science by the Polytechnic University of Catalonia, Spain. PhD in Computer Science by the University of Colorado at Boulder.
If you are looking for supervision opportunities, check the description of the available projects.
You may find additional information in my home page at The University of Sydney
- 2015 Faculty of Engineering and IT Outstanding Teaching Award. The University of Sydney (Slides of the presentation “Student Centred Active Learning in First Year Engineering)
- Invited webinar for the Spanish Network of Learning Analytics (SNOLA). Title: “Can data help me learn?”, Spain, 23 February, 2017
- Presentation at the Australian Curriculum Studies Association Symposium. Title: “Exploring hands-on multidisciplinary STEM with Arduino Esplora”. Sydney, 14 October 2016.
- Keynote at the Australian Association for Institution Research SIG Forum. Title: “The role of institutional data in Learning Analytics”. Adelaide, June 2016
- Invited presentation at the Research Seminar, Universitat Pompeu Fabra. Title: “Feedback at scale with a little help from my algorithms”. Barcelona, Spain, 5 May 2016.
- Invited presentation at The University of Edinburgh, UK. Title: “Designing flipped learning experiences”. Edinburgh, 27 April, 2016 (Video)”
- Invited presentation at The University of South Australia Digital Learning Week. Title: “Using technology to provide feedback on learning strategies” (Link to the video recording). Adelaide, March 2016